Scholarship Competition Rules
These are general rules of the BAS Scholarship Competition as approved by the BAS board. They are periodically reviewed and changed with accordance with legislation governing the education system in Poland.
- The scholarship competition begins on the day when the Announcement is placed on the BAS website and ends when the List of Nominees is similarly published. The announcement will contain all details that may be subject to annual change, like deadlines, interview dates, and names of the schools available in the given year.
- The scholarships are free places in UK boarding schools for the two final years of secondary education. They will cover the entire cost of tuition and board. The scholars’ parents will be expected to bear the cost of travel, uniform, books and extras.
- Candidates must fulfill the following requirements:
Candidates with family ties to serving Board Members of British Alumni Society or Selection Committee Members are not eligible for this Competition. The Selection Committee Members sign an Impartiality Statement to that effect.
- Polish residency and citizenship
- Attendance at a Polish school, year 1 of Secondary School (Liceum )
- Knowledge of English sufficient for studying in an English speaking environment,
- Middle School examination average results min. 80%, not including the language examination.
- Average grade on Middle School leaving certificate min 4.80 (on a scale of 1-6)
- Documented extracurricular achievements such as: sports, arts, school subject competitions, charities, etc
- Total combined parental income in the last declared fiscal year cannot exceed 130.000 PLN net.
Documentation must be mailed by post (no e-mail please) before the deadline specified in the Announcement to the following address:
- Personally prepared CV in English,
- A Xerocopy of the Middle School leaving certificate,
- A Xerocopy of Middle School Test results,
- Personally filled in and signed application form including two teachers’ references in English, Headmaster’s signature and acknowledgement of most recent term grades. Printed copy is preferable, but hand written applications will be accepted.
- Personally prepared dossier illustrating candidate’s extracurricular profile and special achievements (copies of diplomas, letters of recommendation, own artwork, published work, etc);
- A copy of the money transfer (application fee) – 50 PLN;
- Parental declaration of income not exceeding 130.000 PLN net in the last declared fiscal year.
British Alumni Society
Fundacja British Council
ul. Koszykowa 54,
marked „BAS Scholarships” on the envelope. The Selection Committee will confirm receipt of the application by e-mail.
The documentation will be checked for compliance with requirements by the Selection Committee. Applications that are incomplete or which do not fulfill formal requirements will be rejected. Remaining applications will be evaluated with points given for predetermined features like school results, the quality of extracurricular achievements, their duration and consistency of engagement. The Selection Committee will pre-select the best applicants who will be invited to the interview in Warsaw.
Interview invitations will be sent by e-mail with confirmation of attendance required.
Students’ identity cards must be brought to the interview and presented during registration.
The interviews will take place in Warsaw. They will consist of the written and oral part. The written part will be a short essay in English with dictionaries, thesauruses and other helps allowed.
The interview will be a conversation conducted in English.
The Selection Committee may invite Teachers or Heads of participating school to take part in the procedure as Interviewers.
All candidates must complete all stages of the procedure.
The Selection Committee awards points for performance, and evaluates the application as well as the interview. Scholarships are awarded to candidates with the highest scores. The reserve list also approved consists of applicants whose scores are immediately below those of the winners, but must contain applicants of both sexes.
The Selection Committee informs laureates of the verdict by phone calls to applicants and their parents.
After tentative nomination, students’ parents confirm in writing their acceptance, following which they will be asked to present financial documentation regarding family income. The formal recommendation to the School is only given following the successful confirmation of financial conditions.
Scholarship offers only become final after acceptance by the Heads of Schools for which candidates have been proposed. Heads who did not take part in the Interviews may ask for an additional interview by Skype.
In the event of parents turning down the scholarship offer, or resigning an offer that has initially been accepted, it will be proposed to the first applicant on the Reserve list who answers the School’s stated preference (boy/girl).
The Selection Committee publishes a list of confirmed laureates, and the Reserve list, together with their scores, on BAS website and other social media.
If new scholarship offers appear after the reserve list is exhausted, the next nominee will be the finalist with the highest score on the list. This may be subject to the School’s stated preference for a particular sex.
Selection Committee sends written information to all finalists informing them of their score achieved during both stages of the Competition.
Selection Committee does not publish applicants’ names before the Interview. Only the Winners’ and Reserve names are announced on the BAS website and in social media. All changes, due to resignations or new offers appearing , are published on BAS website and in the social media.
The School may withdraw its scholarship offer if it is discovered that the financial declaration did not reflect the family’s true financial circumstances.
A scholar who gives up his/her scholarship and leaves the school without giving a valid reason like sickness or family problems, may be asked to return to the School the expense already made.
Adopted by the Selection Committee and
approved by the Board